10.20.2010

Not So Wordless Wednesday: Leaf Hunting, Fall Love, Homemade Dishwasher Detergent

Hello All! I hope you are all having a wonderfully blessed day! So, normally I keep my Wordless Wednesday  not too wordy...after all, the name implies that it should be. But, I've feeling kind of wordy today. ;-)

So, here are some shots (some fairly random) of our adventures outside enjoying the Fall colors and gorgeous weather...Notice the stickers on my truck (aka random shot #1). Oh yes, we love Colorado! I'm curious if we'll be hitting up the slopes this year (may have to wait until next year, is my guess..too bad Rocky got a season pass last time we were there and we may not be able to use it). ;-( 

This last year we got to get pretty cozy with Arapahoe Basin. This truly is a great place. Nice, laid back people..great snow. Yep, it's a keeper! You can see some pictures from our last trip to Colorado here.



Oh my truck needs cleaned and the stickers need some attention, too.;-)

Leaf picking with plans of making leaf pictures soon!

Oh the colors of Fall!
Feast your eyes on random picture #2...There's something about this picture I love. Simple yet rugged.
Rocky is fixing up a motorcycle he's had for a while. Don't you just love it when dirt meets handsome? ;-)
Lately I've been making my own laundry soap and now....homemade dishwasher detergent. We've been saving some serious cash by making these at home. It still shocks me when I see the cost of laundry and dishwasher detergent at stores. 

Many of the items I use in my laundry soap (which is great) I also use in the dishwasher detergent. Here's the recipe for the dishwasher detergent. Please note that in the picture I am using a really good apple cider vinegar (all raw and all). This is not necessary as you are not eating it. Really, I was supposed to be using just plain white vinegar, but since we made "volcanoes" as a science experiment with the kids (you know, baking soda and vinegar makes a mini volcano,right?) we were all out. The ACV does great, but I'd rather save it for eating..

Okay...seriously now, the recipe for the dishwasher detergent
1 Tbsp Borax
1 Tbsp Washing soda (not to be confused with baking soda) (Washing soda can be found in the laundry isle   of most grocery stores)
Vinegar (To be used as the rinse aid)

I mix up lots and put in a mason jars (gotta love mason jars). Shake it up and then put two Tbsp in the dishwasher for every load. Do, remember that the vinegar is very important key in the rinse aid portion of dishwasher.

Simple recipe, inexpensive ingredients. I can handle that!
The homemade dishwasher detergent line-up

I'm still experimenting with the homemade laundry detergent. Will let you know when I hit the jackpot on that recipe. 
Do you make any household items from scratch to save money and to cut down on some of the nasty chemicals? I'm still learning about all the possibilities and would love to hear your ideas,recipes, and tricks!

Have a happy Wednesday!

Love, Kelly

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the dishwasher recipe - awesome! Just bought some earth-friendly stuff but once it's gone I'll have try making some.

    Love all the pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to start making my own dish washing. The natural stuff in the store is price.
    Let us know how it works out for you. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! fun times!

    Homemade goodies are the best ~

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only homemade cleaner I use is a vinegar concoction for general surface cleaning, and sometimes baking soda on certain surfaces. Maybe I should look into making dish or laundry detergent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, I think I should try your natural dishwasher, sounds easy & inexpensive!!!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome, awesome photos!!!! I love your stickers, too:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1st of all I know you.....kinda! Through church! I'm sooo excited to have found your blog and quite honestly have no idea how I found my way here but when I saw your picture I was thinking "hey I know that girl"!!! Great blog you have! Have spent some time today perusing through your pages!
    So I've been wanting to make both my own laundry and dish soap.....how long have you used the dish soap? Does it do well with rinsing? Also heard it clumps up, have you had that problem? Think I'm just gonna give it a whirl! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate YOUR happy, loving comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails