3.03.2010

My Green Smoothie Addiction

I admit it....I am addicted to green smoothies. I really can't get enough of them. The kids and hubby like them, which is wonderful!! It is true...you really do start to crave them after awhile. They are cool, refreshing, and incredibly filling and nutritious!

I must admit that at first I was skeptical. I was very much accustomed to fruit smoothies. Though, I have always made them a bit "different" as some might say. Green smoothies allow you to take in more fruits and veggies more easily in the drinkable form.

A friend, who also has an amazing Vitamix blender, told me about green smoothies and referred me to a starter recipe from the Vitamix recipe book, so I gave it a try. I loved it and now have been exploring the vast world of green smoothie making...including different types of fruit for different flavors and nutritional benefits.

One thing I always try to include in my green smoothies are freshly ground flaxseeds. I grind mine up in a coffee grinder and keep leftover in the freezer to keep the nutritional content in tact and to keep them from going rancid (which happens quickly). Our bodies cannot get the nutrition found inside the flaxseed if eaten in the whole seed form. They must be ground up first.

Okay, back to green smoothies....I have always struggled with anemia. My iron level just seems to run a bit low, which can lead to fatigue. Since I have been having at least one green smoothie a day for a while now my iron level is up to an excellent level. I do not think this is a coincidence. Yay for green smoothies!! Enjoy one today! They are addictive, though let me warn you. ;-)

Here is a YouTube video on how to make a green smoothie that I find pretty amusing as well as informative. I will be trying the dulse flakes and hempseeds soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate YOUR happy, loving comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails